Community Heroes Sample Curriculum
VISION: A kinder, more compassionate and giving society
MISSION: To shift culture from “ME” to “WE” by making community service easy and fun for the whole family, creating an ever-growing cadre of compassionate heroes.
TAGLINE: Inspiring ACTION through KINDNESS and COMPASSION
HOW WE ACHIEVE OUR MISSION:
We inspire young philanthropists and social activists with 21st century skills and tools to be enthusiastic, effective change-agents. We aim to redefine philanthropy by empowering kids with 21st century skills including empathy, problem-solving and social-emotional development. Our activities include:
- Facilitated lunch-clubs
- Video and social-media storytelling workshops
- Student-inspired fundraisers, collection drives and community service events
- Partnership development for socially-conscious companies and youth-inspired causes
- Annual Day of Giving
Community Heroes is looking to SHIFT CULTURE. How do we achieve HAPPINESS and what does SUCCESS really look like? Society tends to define images of success and happiness through monetary achievement and material goods. What if we were to consider how much we do for others and the world as the top criteria for “success”? How would that change our conversations, our parental decisions, our career paths? How much could this impact our ability to solve large-scale social problems? What if charities were valued similar to corporations? It’s these types of questions that drive the values that we are promoting.
Community Heroes is unique:
- Proven, simple, impactful, lunch club format offers a flexible HERO curriculum, facilitated by volunteer parents at elementary school level
- Engages kids through high-quality entertainment (video and activities) and offers a space to build social-emotional skills. Our partner Go Inspire Go anchors our HERO curriculum through their inspirational videos and blogs about everyday heroes.
- Can be adapted to local circumstances, kids’ interests and parent participation, allowing for an array of issues and approaches
- Makes family community service fun, easy, accessible
- Inspirational annual Day of Giving event the first Sunday in March brings together local clubs, non-profits and partners to celebrate the joy of service
Our Secret Sauce: FUN + INSPIRATION = EMPOWERING KIDS TO ACTION
- Kid-inspired (Kids are the heroes): build off interests and passions of students
- Parent-guided (Parents are the sidekicks): role of facilitator is to ask questions, guide conversation, be a welcoming, positive role model)
- Voluntary: free to come as they choose, always welcome, no need to “sign up”
“If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.” -Maya Angelou
For more information: Community Heroes Curriculum Sample Packet (PDF)